dyed my first ombré rat yesterday! I went for colours blue and purple (the midnight rat) but I was very unsure how it would turn out. The rat that is nailed to the wall in my previous blog is a prime example of the dyes often not coming out as you think. For that rat I used the same blue as I am using now and clearly it didn’t come out as dark as it should of. That is because the rats hair has a lot of natural oil on it that protects it from the conditioner, as well as it being difficult dying on white anyway. But when I dyed this rat I use a few techniques such as hair drying to make the colours more intense (making the dye warm helps it to hold in the hair), although I had never used the purple dye before so I wasn’t quite sure what I was working with.
I washed the dye out and was pretty disappointed with the purple, it was more of a lilac silver. The blue on the other hand was much brighter than the rat I had done the other day, so I decided to redye the purple on order to boost the colour to match the blue more. A second redye did a much better job and I was a lot happier with the results! And here the rat is stuffed ~
I’m really happy how the tail turned out, I thought id try out something new and I think it is very effective. I am thinking of putting this rat and maybe 1/2 others on my rectangle canvas in Damien hirst fashion, all with ombré dye and cornelian tails.
I will skin another rat tonight to be turned into another ombré rat on Monday!