Straightening out some butterflies

I have started out my taxidermy dream very small. With butterflies. I wanted to try setting them and possibly framing/using them in art work.

I began by purchasing some butterflies on eBay. When they came they were dried and their wings were closed. This meant that I needed to put them on a ‘relaxing tub’ for a few days. This is simply a sealed container that has a small amount of moisture and detergent in, meaning that the butterflies loosen, making their wings movable!

20131202-225248.jpg

Once the butterflies were relaxed I needed to pin them onto the setting mould to dry out again for up to 4 weeks. To do this I bought some setting moulds and used pins and newspaper to hold the wings down, being careful of where I put the pins!! There were 12 butterflies in all.

20131202-225518.jpg

20131202-225650.jpg

They’re now all finished and ready to be turned into art!!

20131202-225733.jpg

I loved this process and will definitely try it again!!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s