So, i watched ‘Donnie Darko’ last night. somehow i’d never actually seen, or heard it before (i recognized the terrifying bunny though) which i was shocked by once id seen it, as it is so very excellent! while i was watching it i couldnt help but notice that there were many references to time, which got me thinking.
The plot of the film is ridiculously confusing and complex but its basically about a boy who is (possibly) schizophrenic, seeing (being visited) by a man in a rabbit costume called Frank. He nearly misses being killed on night by being summoned out of his house by frank. Frank tells him that the world will end in a certian amount of days, hours and seconds.
in the time between this event and the ‘end of the world’ frank tells Donnie to do a number of this such as burn houses down etc. all this time Donnie is also finding out about time and time travel. Due to his medication he often sees things (such as frank) but also strange movements to do with time and people. At the end of the film Donnie decides that everything would be better if he had died when he should have (at the beginning of the film) and time travels in order to do so.
I will definitly need to watch the film a few more times before i understand what is going on, but the time concepts struck me. i looked to see if there were any explanations of the film online and i found this… http://www.donniedarko.org.uk/explanation/ this explains one of the most popular theories. here are alternative theories to the film http://www.donniedarko.org.uk/alternative-explantions/
The main time concept ideas such as; fate, tangent and parallel universes is striking and has given me a lot to think about! its difficult to put into words right now as it is still fresh in my mind.
i will leave you for today with some interesting (possibly time related) quotes from the film, enjoy!
- Dr. Lilian Thurman: Donnie, what did Roberta Sparrow say to you?
Donnie: She said that every living creature on Earth dies alone.
- Donnie: Frank. When’s this gonna stop?
Frank: You should already know that.
- Donnie: Where did you come from?
Frank: Do you believe in time travel?
- Donnie: I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.
- Gretchen: And what if you could go back in time and take all those hours of pain and darkness and replace them with something better?
- Dr. Lilian Thurman: If the sky were to suddenly open up, there would be no law, there would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories.